Friday, August 7, 2009

TGIF Tip-Social Networking Tips

photo provided by Will Lion's Flickr site

This TGIF tip comes from How Stuff Works. I read the article Top Ten Things you Shouldn't Share On Social Networks by Charles W. Bryant http://bit.ly/rpk94 and it got me thinking about how I interact with the web. I use Twitter, Plurk, Facebook and LinkedIn quite a bit but I try to keep the "two worlds", professional and personal separate. I mainly use Twitter, Plurk and LinkedIn for professional stuff and Facebook mainly for personal stuff.

In the article the author references posting things on your Facebook wall:
If it's not something you'd feel comfortable sharing in person with extended family, acquaintances, work colleagues or strangers, then you shouldn't share it on your Facebook wall.
It makes me wonder, who's having this type of conversation with students? Who is sharing this type of advice with them? The answer I come up with is, no one! Who's responsibility is to have this type of conversation? I believe it lies with all of us; parents, teachers and the community as a whole. We also need to lead by example and follow our own advice.

The article goes on through the other 9 tips, including basic things like not sharing passwords, password hints and personal contact information on social networking sites. The theme of the whole article in my mind is be selective; don't allow the whole world to view your profile.

What is your opinion? How do you keep yourself and your family safe on the web?

No comments: